........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Monday, April 1, 2013

eastering

 

 
 
 
 


I love holidays.  And as I was thinking of ways to make Harvey's first Easter extra special (because he totally cares, right?!), I thought:  CARROT CAKE!  Can you believe I've never made one before?  I know.  Shame on me.

We spent Saturday celebrating the arrival of spring by hiking with our little moss baby in the moss covered mountains. Sunday was spent eating Easter appropriate food (pasta primavera, carrot cake, and Harvey's easter candy {burp}), a blossom sniffing walk, and an afternoon of church with a super reverent baby (oh thank goodness).



Carrot Cake
from allrecipes.com (with added notes from me)

cake:
4 eggs
1 1/4 c. canola oil
2 c. sugar (I did one cup each of brown and white)
2 t. vanilla (I did 3 t.)
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon (I did 3 t.)
3 c. grated carrots
pecans (I didn't add any because somebody in our house doesn't appreciate nuts in baked goods)
(I added 1/4 t. nutmeg and a couple of big spoonfuls of crushed pineapple (maybe 8 oz.?)


frosting:
1/2 c. butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped pecans. Frost the cooled cake.
(I used two 9" round pans and reduced baking time to 35 minutes)

Verdict:  super delicious!  I will definitely be making this cake again next year.

Hope you had a wonderful Easter!
  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...