........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Confessions of a Rhubarb rookie


I'm not quite sure how I've gotten this far in life without tasting rhubarb.  I keep trying to blame my parents, but it is quite possible that it was offered to me and I just didn't want to try it (read: pickiest eater in the universe).  In any case, my life is now complete.  Rhubarb--you complete me.

Let me back up just a bit...

Last week Evan came home from work with a giant bag of rhubarb.  I stared at him in confusion.  He stared at me right back.  And then he told me to make something with it.  But it looked weird.  Like red celery.  And I wasn't about to waste butter and sugar on red celery.  Eww.

But then I did.



And I am so glad.  

This Rhubarb Crisp tastes just like summer.  I've already made it twice this week.  And I'm planning on making it again on Sunday.  Try and stop me.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp:
       recipe from cooks.com

4 c. rhubarb pieces (about 1 lb.)
2 c. sliced strawberries
1 c. sugar
1 1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. old fashioned oats
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. butter, melted and cooled

In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cinnamon, and 1/3 c. of the flour.  Transfer to a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.

In another bowl, combine remaining 1 c. flour with brown sugar, oats, nutmeg, and butter.  Blend well to create the streusel.  Sprinkle streusel mixture over rhubarb mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Serve with vanilla ice-cream.

Yum. 

 Dear reader, are you a rhubarb junkie?  Are there any recipes I need to try?  Because we still have LOTS of rhubarb (and enthusiasm).


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...